Writing and Tutoring
As a writing tutor, I help students, professionals, artists and anyone else who wants to improve their command of the English language and to craft outstanding academic, artistic and professional writing projects.
I tutor in person in Manhattan, Brooklyn, or upstate and by videoconference internationally. Here are some of the types of activities that my students and I have enjoyed:
- Task-based learning: Instead of giving you assignments, I help to improve your writing through working with you on the assignments you already have. I can assist with test preparation, reading comprehension, vocabulary building, brainstorming ideas for essays, structure, syntax, grammar or style – whatever you need.
- Book discussion: Don’t have a task at hand? No problem. Let’s choose a book, newspaper, or magazine to read and discuss, and together we will mine it for vocabulary, idioms, meaning, and other features.
- Writing workshop: Complete weekly writing assignments or work on a long-term project, and I will offer corrections and suggestions for improvement.
- Resumé and cover letter review: If you’re looking for a job in the US, your written materials have to be top-notch. I have lots of experience helping professionals craft direct, engaging, error-free, accurate, and properly formatted resumes, cover letters, and follow-up emails. I can even coach you for interviews.
- ESL conversation. We can also just meet to talk! You may even invite your friends to form a group. I’ll take notes for you to bring home and review.
“Shea gave me the confidence to believe in my capacity to write and enjoy it. She is so passionate and fresh, and obviously loves what she does. I only wish I’d had more time to work with her.”
“The writer operates at a peculiar crossroads where time and place and eternity somehow meet. His problem is to find that location.”
– FLANNERY O'CONNOR